Thursday 14 January 2010

Fascination (14/365) (2010:2/52)


Fascination -1/14/10 (14/365)
Week 2 Fascination for 2010: the year we took photos

"I am the daughter of Earth and Water,
and the nursling of the Sky:
I pass through the pores of the ocean and shores;
I change, but I cannot die.
For after the rain, when with never a stain
the pavilion of heaven is bare,
and the winds and sunbeams with their convex gleams
build up the blue dome of air,
I silently laugh at my own cenotaph,
and out of the caverns of rain,
Like a child from the womb, like a ghost from the tomb,
I arise, and unbuild it again"
The cloud - Shelley

I love the sky. I adore clouds. I could sit and watch them all day, well some of them anyway. I am in awe of something that can weigh the equivalent of 80 elephants can float a couple of miles over my head, to the wisps that streak the sky 8 miles up. It's always changing and sometimes can take my breath away.

Last year was a bit crappy. Nothing in the grand scheme of things but I'd stopped doing all the things I love - stopped actively listening to music, stopped reading, definitely stopped taking photos but I never stopped looking up.

The irony is not lost on me that I couldn't get a decent cloud shot this week because of all the clouds!

3 comments:

Ian Newbold said...

Awesome. You will be no doubt delighted to know I am something of a cloud freak as well, since doing a project on them at junior school. I am all nimbus stratus.

Do you have some interesting conversations lined up the next time I see you! What do you mean you've lost my number?

kerry said...

I'd rather be a cumulus than a nimbus - or do you see yourself as thick, grey and like raining on other people's parades?

I'm member 1407 of the cloud appreciation society I'll have you know. Over 20,000 members now so we're not alone :)

kerry said...

And congratulations on being the first commentator on my site!